The Cancun Safeguards
- Safeguard A: That actions complement or are consistent with the objectives of national forest programmes and relevant international conventions and agreements;
- Safeguard B: National forest governance structures are transparent and effective, taking into account national legislation and sovereignty;
- Safeguard C: Respect for the knowledge and rights of Indigenous Peoples and members of local communities, by taking into account relevant international obligations, national circumstances and laws, and noting that the United Nations General Assembly has adopted the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples;
- Safeguard D: The full and effective participation of relevant stakeholders, in particular indigenous peoples and local communities;
- Safeguard E: That actions are consistent with the conservation of natural forests and biological diversity, ensuring that [REDD+] actions are not used for the conversion of natural forests, but are instead used to incentivize the protection and conservation of natural forests and their ecosystem services, and to enhance other social and environmental benefits;
- Safeguard F: Actions to address the risks of reversals;
- Safeguard G: Actions to reduce displacement of emissions.